Hello Brendan,

Filter instances can pre and post process request/response via the
"beforeHandle" and "afterHandle" methods, thus it gives you a complete
control.
Having said that, the "beforeHandle" method is a more a place where to
enrich the context of the incoming request, or even update the request,
whereas the "afterHandle" is the place where to update the response
generated by the end point (generally a resource). It let the end-point
generates a response according to the current request and its context,
not from a prepared response which seems odd (from my point of view).
But you're totally free, of course.

best regards,
Thierry Boileau

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2364868