FWIW, the following change in HttpClientConverter.java seems to fix the NPE:

    public void commit(final HttpClientCall httpCall, Request request,
            Response response, final Uniform userCallback) throws Exception {
        if (httpCall != null) {
            // Send the request to the client
            httpCall.sendRequest(request, response, new Uniform() {

                public void handle(Request request, Response response,
                        Uniform callback) {
                    updateResponse(response, httpCall);
                    userCallback.handle(request, response, null);
                }

            });
        }
    }