Hi Tim,

Using an object serialization representation does reintroduce strong
coupling between a REST client and server. It should only be done for
optimization purpose, as an alternative to more reusable and interoperable
JSON / XML representations.

But wait! XML and JSON do introduce coupling as you need to know their
structure in advance most of the time! If you want an even less coupling,
then looking towards RDF is a good idea but still you will need to
understand some ontologies...

With REST/HTTP you can deal with this issue in two ways:

 - standard representation formats such as HTML, Atom (to a certain extent),
PNG, etc.

 - content negotiation

Best regards,
Jerome Louvel