Hi,

You might find the following article helpful:

  http://benramsey.com/archives/http-status-201-created-vs-202-accepted/

In general, I think a REST API might handle your situation (a request that
cannot complete immediately) by returning 202 Accepted, along with either
body content or a Location header that points to a new resource location,
which the client would then periodically poll until the long-running request
was completed.  I could be wrong, though...

Steve