> Second attempt without the typos J
>
> ---
>
> Hi all,
>
> While preparing for the release of Restlet Framework 2.1 M1 (due
> tomorrow), I’ve done some clean-up and removed modules that we won’t
> develop or support anymore. The goal is to focus our energy on the
> modules adding the most value to end-users rather than trying to
> integrate with everything cool technology around.
>
> I first had a look at the incubator and saw three modules that aren’t
> developed anymore:
>
> ·JXTA : technology for peer-to-peer networks which hasn’t evolved much
> since 2007
>
> ·Shell : command line support for Restlet, which we prefer to cover
> using IDE tooling
> <http://wiki.restlet.org/developers/172-restlet/361-restlet.html> in
> the future
>
> ·Atmosphere : mostly empty, dependency on Servlet API, too much to do,
> too much overlap with the asynchronous Restlet API features…  but
> interesting project to keep an eye on :)

implementing a websocket connector on top of restlet would be a much
less loss of band(cpu)width ;-)

Atmostphere is too much oriented toward jersey and the dependency on the
servlet even if it could be aleviated it is too much of work
for a technology that have now less attraction (read tech lust) than
websocket as a lot of libraries could make it available even for old
browsers through
a flash proxy.

> In addition I would like to remove the Grizzly and Netty extensions
> which were considered as experimental connectors in Restlet Framework
> 2.0. The new internal connector
> <http://wiki.restlet.org/developers/172-restlet/354-restlet.html>
> based on non-blocking NIO that will be available in version 2.1 M1 now
> provides similar advantages (fully decoupling HTTP connections and IO
> threads) and is already more complete from a HTTP coverage point of
> view. Relying on our own connector also has many advantages such as
> control of the IO/network layer allowing features such as TCP/IP
> connection blocking which would be possible a consistent manner across
> all extension connectors.

I use Grizzly (for not good reason anymore) what is your suggestion for
current development (i.e not in production)
abandon it and switch to jetty as a safe bet for production cases and
play with your new baby in developpement to test it ?

ps : to bad you droped netty as it could be used outside of the http
case for communicating with plain old socket oriented
servers as it is more supported than apache mina.

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2678111