Hi.

I'm have some concerns while designing the authentication part of my
API build with Restlet 2.1.
I'd like your opinion on what I've already done and I'm here to ask
some advice for some more stuff.

My needs are:

1. I want to identify applications users by cookie, to assign
fine-grained authorization.
2. I'd rather delegate to ApiGee the api management (limits and also
app authentications).
3. The whole API should be blocked: no one can access that without a
secure password, that I'll provide only to ApiGee

In this scenario, one can access the backend only via ApiGee proxy. So
any resource level authorization will be handled at ApiGee level, so
will be third party apps API keys and so on.
At Restlet level, I'll just parse the cookie (or answer 401 if no
cookie is present), identify user, assign roles and provide
fine-grained authorization.
I do not even need to track the app, cause roles are applied to users.
Maybe in future I'll have some roles set that depends on apps but is
not the case for now (I just have the frontend user app and the
administration console).

Does all of these seems reasonable or I am making some big mistake
that will lead to problems, pitfalls, securit issues etc?

That's all, thanks anyone for any advice.

--
Daniele Dellafiore
http://danieledellafiore.net

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=3001992