Rails has a term for this called dynamic routes... lets you define things as:

http://www.somesite.com/controller/model/action

these get mapped dynamically to your applicaiton and if that
controller doesnt exist it calls the standard 404 page.

Its pretty slick, you can also modify these so if you just want to
have one that you just made up like /bob point to some random index it
does that as well.

I haven't checked out the CF on wheels thing (actually watching the demo now)

Its as easy as doing:

ActionController::Routing.draw do |map|
 map.connect '', :controller => 'blog', :action => 'recent'
 map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'
end

I know enough about rails... just thought I'd chime in since I think
CF needs something like the routes thing... it would be very helpful.