Just as an aside - you can still store complex structures in client variables but you'll have to wddx them into a string and then store them into the client variable.  Also, if you do this and you have your client variables stored in the database, you'll want to make sure your datasource is enabled to retrieve BLOB's without the 64k limit.

One other thing, if you're running on MX in JRUN configuration (not standalone), you can share the sessions between servers (if I remember right).  J2EE has clustering built in and I believe it supports the equivalent of a session state server.

Allen
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 9:22 AM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Client? Session?

In general it seems to me that the rule is that once a user is on a server, they are on the same server.  Define complex data.  I potentially see structures and possibly an occasional object in the shared scope, but honestly I don't know yet.  We don't officially have any code written.

mcg

Steven Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

09/26/2006 08:04 PM

Please respond to
discussion@acfug.org

discussion@acfug.org
cc
Subject
Re: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Client? Session?

Yeah it depends on how you want your requests routed... it is my
understanding that if you want the machines to round robin each
request then you need to do client variables, if you don't care and
you just want users to stay on one server then you can use sessions.

On 9/26/06, Teddy Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Are you looking to store complex data in your shared scope?  If so, you need
> some sort of sticky session solution.  If you are looking to store simple
> data, using the datasource option of client variable storeage would make it
> easier to switch over between servers.
>
> Teddy
>

> On 9/26/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a little confused as to what scope of variables to use in our
> situation.  We have a primary server and a 'backup' server in case the
> primary fails.  Now that is the current situation.  Eventually the backup
> will be replaced with a better machine and the load will be balanced a
> little more evenly.   Currently the balancing is done via Resonate software
> (and no one seems to like it).  As far as 100% failover, I really don't see
> that as a necessity, these aren't banking applications.  Also these servers
> don't talk to each other that I know of.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Mary-Catherine

> > Archive @
> http://www.mail-archive.com/discussion%40acfug.org/