Honestly it depends on your environment and what your team knows best.  If
you are a Windows shop, throwing in a *nix box may not be the best thing,
unless you have a uber *nix weenie in house.  On the opposite side of the
fence, if you have a *nix shop, go with that.  It all boils down to cost.
Cost can be support, purchases, training or time.  You may have to hire
new employees to support your server(s) as well.  Cost.

mcg

Steven Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
11/28/2006 09:44 AM
Please respond to
discussion@acfug.org

discussion@acfug.org
cc

Subject
Re: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] CF serving platform

Just remember if you pick Sun you cant run a supported copy of CF on
the x86 architecture. You have to run Sparc on Solaris.

> As a matter of performance, Solaris seems to be the best option.  On
> windows & linux the max amount of memory available to a JVM instance
> is about 1.25GB.  That number goes up to 3GB on Solaris.  I'm not
> going to get into the Sun conspiracy theories here, but that is the
> performance difference I've seen.
>
> ap
>

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Anthony Mathis wrote:
>
> > For four years it was windows 2000 Advanced server.  Last year we
> > decided to try Linux (Ubuntu).  Coldfusion works better with Debian
> > base
> > linux, for me anyway.  Been loving cf on linux ever since.
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 20:11 -0500, Alex Pilson wrote:
> >> I am looking at new opportunities and thought I would pose a question
> >> to the CF community here. What seems to be the platform of choice for
> >> most CF developers to serve from? Windows or Linux? Or something
> >> else?
> >>
> >> Thank you for your time.

Steven Ross
web application & interface developer