Ben, are you saying that the Replace T-SQL function that Teddy mentioned
won't work for the problem Michael raised (since he specifically said he
needed to update a Text column datatype? That would certainly put the skids
on the approach. :-) I've not faced the problem at all myself so was just
helping with the question of where to try such an approach if it would work.

I've done some googling, and I see indeed that there are many pages
explaining that as you say, Replace does not work with Text (or Ntext)
fields (and lamenting that datatype as having various other limitations).
Some also try to offer a solution (albeit complex) to the problem of using
Replace with Text fields, such as:

    http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=15528

and there's a forum discussion of it:

    http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31893

But I decided to dig a little further to find if perhaps this has changed in
SQL Server 2005. What I did find, though, was a discussion of the text (and
ntext) datatypes in particular and saying that they are due to be deprecated
(sounds like it makes sense!). I mention this because it offers the
alternatives to be considered (in your case, varchar(max), with "max" being
a new keyword in SQL 2005):

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms187993.aspx

This discussion (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms178158.aspx)
more specifically indicates that Text should be replaced with varchar(max),
and NText with nvarchar(max). Perhaps that may help.

I realize that many may not be free to change their database column types,
but then some may be, especially if it solves a problem.

/Charlie
http://www.carehart.org/blog/

  _____