What is a practical use for XML? What kind of situation would call for using
it?

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrew Powell
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 8:54 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] XML & CF

Also, I would suggest Jeff Peters' book on the CF XML Object:

http://www.cafepress.com/protonarts.50984013

ap

On Jan 1, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Andrew Powell wrote:

1. Read the XML file with CFFILE

2. Parse the xml string with xmlParse()

--optional, but recommended-- narrow your XML document down to an array of
of your data elements using xmlSearch() and the xPath to your data

3. loop over data and do what you will with it (conditionals to check, etc.)

4. write it back to the server or whatever storage space you are using
(database, etc.)

As far as writing back the whole XML doc, that may be a matter of not using
xmlSearch() and working with the whole document instead. I'm not sure if
xmlSearch() returns its array by reference or by value. Someone else may be
able to clear this up. In the livedocs someone says that searches on the
same XML doc are NOT thread-safe within a shared scope. This leads me to
think that the array returned by xmlSearch() is returned is a reference to
the original xml doc. If that is the case, then you can just manipulate that
data in the array that xmlsearch() returns and then write the original xml
back to a string with changes intact. I would not write it to an array of
structs or a query if you're going to write back as XML to the server or
database. Just manipulate the original XML doc and save the processing of
conversion.

To write it back to the server, you just toString(myXMLObj) within your
CFFILE action="write" tag.