Dusty,

Here's my approach to the cross-browser problem with CSS.  The problem
begins with how Microsoft in particular "interprets" the CSS standards.
What should be a "standards" behavior for such-and-such sometimes get
embellished or enhanced in their interest of marketing.  It's not just
Microsoft, Netscape can create problems for you too, and older versions of
browsers can be a problem. Basically designing with CSS becomes a
"compromise approach".  Okay here's my approach:

1.      start with, develop with the most "standards compliant" browser such
as Firefox.
2.      keep copies of IE and NN open and check yourself as you go, looking
for failures.
3.      It's virtually impossible to have your site render EXACTLY the same
in all browsers and versions thereof. So approach your design with some
flexibility. What works best across the top 3 browsers. But keep your CSS
standards compliant. Don't use browser specific hacks.
4.      Most of the time it is IE that causes me the most grief. And it's
very easy to "fix".  CSS means cascading, and that means as you go down the
page (of  your CSS) every succeeding rule has precedence over any matching
identifier before it.

a.      For example: if you had a style rule for say the id="nav"

#nav {margin: 0 0 0 0;

padding: 5px;

etc. }   (this would set all margins to 0, padding to 5 px, etc.

And then somewhere later down the page you had the rule again:

#nav {margin-left: 10px;}

This subsequent rule would override the left margin value only. All other
rules would continue to be applied.

            So, here's how to deal with a condition where IE only is messing
up your design.

            In your <head> section, immediately following your

<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css"
href="css/SBP_001_Base.css" />

>>>at this point, insert a Browser detection tag, and test for, say,
Internet Explorer. Then.

<CFIF isBrowser IS 'IE'> (whatever IF statement you need to recognize that
the browser looking at you is IE, or.)

<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css"
href="css/SBP_001_ISEXPLORER.css" />

</CFIF>

.and the CSS file _ISEXORER.CSS contains "subsequent" rules to any in your
_Base.css file that are having problems with IE. Most of the time my
_IsExplorer.css file is only a rule or two.

The advantage here is that your "base" css file is always "standards
compliant so that as new browsers come on the market, etc. your site will
continue to run correctly. If you use browser hacks you will have to go back
and figure out where they are as IE figures out how to "follow the rules"
and your hack doesn't work anymore.

Hope this idea/procedure helps.

Dan

  _____