Ajas, just to clarify: if all you wanted was to "test some JSP pages", you
never needed to bother with the second install. The base version you
installed would have worked. (JSPs can be run by CF in the Enterprise, but
not the Standard, edition. That's about editions, not how it's installed.
And the free Developer edition is the same as Enterprise, just limited to
localhost and a couple of IPs.)

That said, you do now have 2 versions of CF installed, one as the standalone
(or "Server") configuration, and the other as the MultiServer config. Both
are built atop JRun. It's just that the second exposes it more obviously. In
both configs, again, an instance of JRun underlies each and it can process
both CFML and JSP pages. The JSP pages are just processed directly like any
Servlet Engine, while the CFML pages are run by CF's first processing them
and turning them into Java bytecode which runs atop the CF engine's runtime.

That helps answer your 3rd question: while you can indeed deploy CF apps as
a J2EE web app on "another machine" (on pretty much any other J2EE server,
including JRun), the CFML code is not "just" bytecode but bytecode that
calls libraries that are part of CF. The bundled J2EE web app does indeed
include all that you need. So you don't need a "CF Server" installed on that
"other machine". But you do need a license to run that CF server
implementation that's inside the J2EE web app. (In other words, it's not
free to deploy your CF code as a J2EE web app.)

As for docs, you can certainly see the CF documentation. (It fascinates me
that people seem to always want to google and/or ask on a list before just
reading the docs. That's no offense to you, Ajas. Just an observation/lament
about human nature.) There's more than "just a reference manual". What you
want is in the "Installing and Using ColdFusion MX" manual, in the section,
"Installing the J2EE Configuration", as well as in the manual, "Configuring
and Administering ColdFusion MX", in the section "Deploying ColdFusion
Applications".

The use of JSPs is in the "ColdFusion MX Developer's Guide" manual, in the
section "Integrating J2EE and Java Elements in CFML Applications".

You can find the docs online at livedocs.macromedia.com or in downloadable
form at http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/coldfusion/.

I also wrote about the notion of running CFML code as a J2EE web app in an
April 2004 CFDJ article, "Making the Case for CFML on J2EE", available at
http://coldfusion.sys-con.com/read/44481.htm.

/Charlie
http://www.carehart.org/blog/

  _____