Hi,
   I was reading online about this message you are getting and MS has some
info about it

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814372

"Critical Update Unsuccessful" Messages•If you receive the following
message, try to install the update again by using an account with
administrator permissions: The user account does not have sufficient
privileges to run the patch. Please see your system administrator for
assistance.
To do this, log on to the computer as an administrator, or contact your
local administrator for more help.•If you receive one of the following
messages, contact Microsoft Product Support Services: There was an error
updating Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine 2000.

-or-

There was an error updating Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft SQL
Desktop Engine 2000 in the following languages: languages list.
To contact Microsoft Product Support Services, click *More Information* in
the *MSDE 2000/SQL Server 2000Critical Update* dialog box. This opens the
following Microsoft Web site, where you can find information about how to
contact Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

All the best

Ajas.