Has anyone else ever run into a situation where <cfquery> does not
return the same records as a direct query on the database?

I have a rather large query joining 5 tables and 2 derived tables. The
'where' clause is cluttered with dynamically loaded conditions. There
are some <cfqueryparam> tags that keep me from easily inserting the
query as a single string. The 'order by' clause is handled by a custom
tag.

The point is this: under certain circumstances the query does not
respond properly, but I am sure that the query should be making it to
the <cfquery> tag properly. If the query is run directly against the
database it works fine, and if it is run with certain options it works
fine, but other options make it return a result set that is too small.
It doesn't through an error, though, so If not for careful testing it
wouldn't have even been noticed.

I am using ColdFusion 7 and SQL Server.

Sorry for not posting any code, but I'm thinking you have either run
into this before or you haven't. I can't find anything online, perhaps
because the issue is difficult to describe.