>From my experience when using queries that need to be wrapped in a
transaction to prevent dirty reads or dirty writes, I will use the
transaction code within the query itself and use the COMMIT at the end
of the query.  That way, the ROLLBACK will automatically occur if the
query (that is wrapped inside the SQL transaction) for some reason is
able to fully execute.

If it is several queries then I would certainly strongly consider
putting those queries (with the transactions) inside a stored procedure.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fennell,
Mark P.
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 9:39 AM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: [ACFUG Discuss] Transactions and Commits

Setup:
Oracle 10g
CF Version: 7,0,0,91690
JVM 1.6.0_02
Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) 2.6.22.1 41.fc7PAE (32-bit)

Questions:
When does CF commit transactions by default when no CFTransaction tags
are used?
Can the transaction level (Serializable, Repeatable Read, Read
Committed, etc.) be set on an application level?

I'm using CFTransaction in some apps because I need to ensure that
everything is golden. I seem to recall that CF runs all the queries on a
page and then commits at the end. That seems to be causing many "can't
serialize access for this transaction" errors. Anyone have any
suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.
mf

mark fennell
athens regional medical center
athens, ga

This email is intended only for the named recipient(s).  It may contain
information that is proprietary, confidential or otherwise prohibited
from disclosure.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or
any part of it.  If you have received this message in error, please
reply immediately by email or telephone me at 706-475-4357 and delete
all copies of the message.