This one ought to be easy for someone who knows how. I want to load a pdf into
a web page child window. When I put the pdf on the website's directory, the
following code (where the function is passed a job number naming the pdf) works
without a hitch:

function ScannedStyle(jn){
   jn = jn + '.pdf';
   win=window.open(jn,'Style','width=800,height=500,resizable=yes');
   win.focus();
   win.moveTo(50,50);
   }

However, in the real life situation, there will be thousands of pdf's, located
on an arbitrary directory elsewhere on the server. The following does not work:

function ScannedStyle(jn){
   subdir = jn.substr(0,3); //subdirectories are first 3 digits of each jobno
   dir = 'c:/ScannedStyles/' + subdir + '/';
   jn = dir + jn + '.pdf';
   alert(jn); //this says e.g. 'c:/ScannedStyles/513/51310.pdf' just as it
should
   win=window.open(jn,'Style','width=800,height=500,resizable=yes');
   win.focus();
   win.moveTo(50,50);
   }

Firefox objects, saying 'Firefox doesn't know how to open the address because
the protocol (c) isn't associated with any program'.

Since it appears to be taking the 'c' drive designation as the name of a
protocol, that suggests that I need to specify one. However, the following also
does not work:

function ScannedStyle(jn){
   subdir = jn.substr(0,3); //subdirectories are first 3 digits of each jobno
   dir = 'file://c:/ScannedStyles/' + subdir + '/';
   jn = dir + jn + '.pdf';
   win=window.open(jn,'Style','width=800,height=500,resizable=yes');
   win.focus();
   win.moveTo(50,50);
   }

What should I be doing?