Were dealing with two errors, which I think are related... somewhat at
least.

We have a cfc on our server (Windows 2003 Web Ed/CF8/Work Grouped - cf is
running as a local account) that calls a third party WS (SOAP) (using
CFINVOKE in some places and script/createObjects in others, and even CFHTTP
in others). All connections are https.
We also have one variable in a cffunciont, unvarred, setting objSimpleDate =
CreateObject("java", "java.text.SimpleDateFormat").init("mm/dd/yyyy");

When invocating, it works for a while - and then we get:

faultCode: {http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope}Server.userException
faultSubcode:
faultString: java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum
connections reached?): connect
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:

After this error starts, a simple Ajax module starts returning "Connection
Failure" instead of the normal search results we should get. Note this
system though o CF8 uses the cfajax package popular before CF8 came out.

Restarting the server resolves both issues - for a time.

I can do a netstat and see an established connection being held for every WS
call - after the request has completed.

Its my guess at this point that either using CFHTTP or CFINVOKE in
cffunction without first var'ing  for their result/return, might be keeping
CF from releasing that socket?

Or am I totally off?

Thanks-  really appreciate any direction!
Charlie