It is not necessary to use a true PDF form (with identified fields and values) to be able to extract text from it. I just printed a PO from our system using an open source PDF printer and then converted it back into Excel. There are some applications that use a bitmap format like tiff or jpg as an intermediary to produce a PDF. Documents from these systems could obviously not easily be converted back into text.
/m

: I think (Josh please correct me) that the availability of the data in the
:  final PDF file has more to do with how the PDF was created. If you just use a
:  PDF printer to create the file your data isnt available, but my understanding
:  was that if you used a "PDF form" on in the input side then the data is still
:  in those form fields in the binary file and thus extractable. Otherwise I
:  dont see what the excitement would be about with PDF workflows in Livecycle.
: