From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Teddy R. Payne
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:39 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Encrypting URL Parameters

Yeah, I would have to agree that something like a UUID is all that is
necessary.  It sounds like you just need a unique identifier that does not show
the email address, but associates to an email address in your persistence layer.

Subscribe:
A logical path looking like you have a web interface for a user to enter their
email to subscribe to a service.

Unsubscribe:
The user doesn't want your service notifications anymore and asks to be
unsubscribed.
You create a UUID in your persistence that links to the email. (You could
overwrite this UUID for every request for unsubscribe)
The user gets a link that shows a UUID for them.

A possible consideration you might look at in your business rules may be that
if they ask for an unsubscribe, is there a time limit associated?  Can they
unsubscribe anytime that they click the link even if it is 10 months ago?  If
that is fine, you need not worry about tracking a time.  Otherwise, you may
want to track when the last time an unsubscribe was sent to them.

Teddy R. Payne, ACCFD
Google Talk - teddyrpa...@gmail.com