But to get back to your original question, if someone for some reason did
NOT want to do an update, yes, you could call upon better encryption
functions than those includes in CF 6, by calling on them in the underlying
Java JVM (or whatever library the encryption functions live in). Someone may
know the specifics. I don't (or it could be found pretty easily). You just
would then call the needed java objects from within CFML using createobject
or CFObject. The CF docs talk about how to call Java objects.

And since CF 7 and 6 both deployed on Java 1.4, you should be able to call
in 6 whatever is called in 7. Then again, if it's based on something in the
JVM, I'll note that the point release within 1.4 was a couple releases newer
in 7, so you might have to upgrade to that equivalent 1.4 JVM on 6. If it's
just a library, you'd just need to find what 7 relied upon, or you may find
some other you were happy with.

But as has been said, the easiest thing certainly would just be to update to
7, or even better, 8.

Hope that's helpful.

/charlie