After hours of trial and error today, I've managed to solve my own
problem.  That first URL I provided below that details the server
variables used by some PHP programmers is correct.  Rather than using
CGI.CERT_SUBJECT, I have to use CGI.SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN to accomplish the
same thing.  The output is very similar.  The real issue I have is that it
is not showing up in a dump of the CGI scope, so it took some time to find
what I needed.  Further, Apache and mod_ssl don't output this info by
default, depending on your choice of apache version and installer of
course.  I had to add this line to my SSL config:

SSLOptions +ExportCertData +StdEnvVars

I hope this saves someone else time in the future trying to figure that out.