You have it backwards. Latin-1 is only 256 characters, UTF-8 conceivably supports up to 4 million or so. Unless you have a need for internationalization, stick with latin-1.

-dhs

--
Dean H. Saxe
"A true conservationist is a person who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." -- John James Audubon