From: Wes Byrd <w...@dynapp.com>
To: "discussion@acfug.org" <discussion@acfug.org>
Sent: Wed, November 4, 2009 1:17:41 PM
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] Development vs Production Application.cfm and
other things...

I use XML (as stated before) but for this single purpose, I
agree with Charlie that it would be much simpler and just as affective to use
the INI file functionality built into CF.  You will use half the lines of
code to do that vs the XML option.

Still, XML is a nice buzz word and if you want to use this as a
reason to get familiar with reading and parsing XML files, then great!  It
is a great standard to use for sharing data between systems.  However,
again, if the purpose is to just read some params in and set application vars,
I think the ini option Charlie suggested would be best.  I even thought
about rewriting my system to use the ini rather than the XML.  It would
reduce the settings file to about 30 lines (60% reduction)  and be MUCH
easier to read than my XML.

There is no real answer to which is the "best" option
for you.  They are both great.

<salute>

Wes