Comments are good, but you may be going over the top a bit from what you're saying ;) But there's no hard and fast rules on that point. in my experience, if you are using a known framework, good design patterns and unit tests - heavy commenting isn't usually needed as much. I tend to see the need for heavy commenting when the code gets highly esoteric.

John
ma...@fusionlink.com
twitter: john_mason_
blog: codfusion.com

Derrick Peavy wrote:
<!---
============
MY FIRST PET PEEVE
============
--->

<!--- people need to learn to comment their code --->

<!--- for example, when I have to throw in a hack, i like to remind myself to remove it --->

<!--- so I type: "hey dumba** - remove this comment and code block as soon as you can figure out how someone is loading this page, four screens deep in an app without any client or session vars enabled in the client when it should be impossible and the page will not even load when tested by 20 different browsers in 7 countries" --->

<!--- I have an important file in my app that is probably 50% comments. seriously. because it's an awesome file and elegantly simplistic and responsible for 50% of the data on the site, so it's nice to be able to go back when tweaking and know why something is done the way it's done. So, maybe 350 lines of code mixed with xhtml and another 350 of comments. overkill? yeah. But if I die, you won't have to guess! --->

<!--- just to check myself after your post, I looked over my app.cfm file, I have a total of four (4) client vars, two of those can be int(11), one can only be a single digit, and one can only be either "Y" or "N" --->

<!--- there are some application variables for things that never change and so they can persist across any client or time up to the max allotted time for app variables to expire --->

<!--- everything else is session with a reasonable time out setting --->

<!--- not unusual to have 100k page loads total considering all bots and spiders and users, and 7 or 8K user page loads in a 24 hour period with no cpu spike or lag time unless a background data process is scheduled --->

<!---
============
MY SECOND PET PEEVE
============
--->

<!--- writing every gosh damned query as a fricking cfc --->

<!--- the beauty of CF is that you can actually just write a da*n query and just run it --->

<!--- which brings me to... --->

<!---
============
MY THIRD PET PEEVE
--->

<!--- people who can't accept a database structure that gets the job done without 100 x-ref matching tables which require 42 queries to get a user name and email --->

<!--- stop it. just stop it already and learn how to make data simple and accept that you are not Aamazon and you will never, ever, ever, likely scale your app beyond a few hundred concurrent users accessing the minimal amount of data --->

Derrick Peavy
derr...@derrickpeavy.com
404-786-5036

“Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” -Steve Jobs