I would also echo Dawn's feedback. I have been on both sides of the fence
with different companies regarding SQL's overall role in app dev. Where I
am at now, we're very SQL-heavy, and employ a lot of views & procs vs a
separate DAO layer within CFCs or query heavy templates. I like this method
personally. It utilizes SQL well and it also provides direct access for
those who need to work on the reporting or data analysis side -- vs, those
folks having to dig through CF templates to figure out what's going on from
a data perspective.

Also on the subject of SQL in general, I wanted to mention  Redgate's SQL
Developer Bundle for managing deployments within MS SQL. These tools have
been a godsend for us for managing SQL in source control, pushing new db
object changes to production, etc. While they are pricey, I highly
recommend these tools.
http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-developer-bundle/

-Steve Duys