Thanks Charlie:

This is very useful. I should switch to the CF Express edition and see if those
freezes stop.

________________________________
 From: Charlie Arehart <char...@carehart.org>
To: discussion@acfug.org
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:43 PM
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] ColdFusion Builder freezes abruptly

Well, start by looking at the list of what features ARE only in the paid
edition:

http://cfdocyard.blogspot.com/2011/05/coldfusion-builder-express-edition-free.html

How many of those do you (I mean, “you all”, rhetorically) use?

One may go down the list and say “well, only a few of the 14 listed paid-only
features seem interesting to me”.

OK, but so many people using CFB never setup a server connection (or don’t get
it working right), whether it’s a remote server or even just their local
development server. Perhaps half the real benefits of CFB (over other editors)
are related to its getting info from the CF server, whether about code insight
to access CFC methods and db tables/cols, as well as files that are accessible
only using admin mappings, and so on.

Then many other features are only really helpful if they can have access to all
files on the server, not just necessarily those in a specific project, like the
code hyperlinking (where you ctrl-hover over a file and it opens, which only
works for files in the current directory or web-relative paths if you don’t
have a server connection), the refactoring and quick-fix features, searching
files on the server, the log viewing (viewing logs on the server within the
IDE, using the Tail View), and more.

Then there’s also the step debugger (but I know some will never use one, or
many struggle to get it to work, because again it requires connection to the
server, even if that’s “local”).

There are more, but you asked for “some”. Since you asked, Scott, are any of
those things that you feel you have missed, or that others you see using it may
have? :-)

/charlie