I think you are reading the whole sheet in when you use CFSPREADSHEET and
essentially setting the pointer to sheet 2 with the second CFSPREADSHEET
line.  So you are trying to overwrite the existing spreadsheet with the
same objects and CF doesn't like that.

Maybe you should try something like this (I haven't touched CFSPREADSHEET
so I could be way off)

<cfspreadsheet action="read"
src="#application.rootDir#assets\C3d\IgG_Single_Template.xlsm"
name="Patient_Output">
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,patientResults.patientName,7,5)>
<cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,patientResults.clinic,8,5)>
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,DateFormat(patientResults.patientDOB,"mm/dd/yyyy"),9,5)>
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,DateFormat(patientResults.sampleDate,"mm/dd/yyyy"),10,5)>
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,DateFormat(patientResults.reportDate,"mm/dd/yyyy"),11,5)>
<cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,patientResults.doctor,12,5)>
<cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,"link goes here",13,3)>

<cfset SpreadsheetSetActiveSheetNumber(Patient_Output, 2)> <!--- here is
where the magic is... --->
<cfloop from="1" to="20" index="i">
 <cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,".5",2,2)>
</cfloop>
<!--- Write both sheets to the new file. --->
<cfspreadsheet action="write" filename="#theFile#" name="Patient_Output"
overwrite="true">

<!--- Redirect user to the patient spreadsheet. --->
<cflocation url="/C3d/individual_results/#patientResults.lname#.xlsm">

I did CFXL using POI a number of years back.  It's on riaforge.  If nothing
else, looking at the code may give you some inspiration if you decide to
delve into POI.

Best wishes,
Jason