Il giorno mer 26 lug 2017 alle 12:14, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.pro> ha scritto:

[...]

Is it negative to say, for example, "Debian doesn't send 10,000
telemetry reports per day" and hope the user realizes we are comparing
to Microsoft Windows 10?

If I was in somebody's house and I saw their kitchen had caught fire,
should I avoid talking about it because it is a negative topic and they
might feel bad?  Or should I warn somebody?

What about a hidden risk that most people can't see, for example, if you
were an official who knew about the contamination[1] in the water in
Flint, Michigan, should you keep your mouth shut? Or would people thank
you for sharing negative information?

It would be really interesting to hear perspectives people have about
how to introduce threats without appearing to be negative. For example,
what narrative do we need to use to give proprietary software the same
urgency as a burning kitchen or contaminated water?

As in the Flint example, I'm always grateful to people who open my mind to negative information I was ignoring. I feel it as a positive step for my critical conscience (even if sometimes I'd feel better not to know). And if I can do something, my little tiny contribution, to react, then I feel better than before.

I started being involved in free software because I was attracted by the positive arguments (e.g.: being part of an international community, learning new stuff, contributing to the commons, etc.). It was 10 years ago, perhaps the situation of "digital rights" was less negative than now. I think that negative campaigning matters today more than in the past.