Good afternoon,

I agree with you, Mat. I don't have a plan yet, but I have an idea of what could be done to this direction:

We certainly need to agree upon a plan with clear objectives: what we want to achieve, how and when. We also need volunteers for the "field-work", a steering committee (or alike) to help, give directions, delegate tasks to volunteers and coordinate their progress. Finally, due to the complexity of the GDPR, I think we need a legal team to verify the final output, before it goes public, or correct the expressions we use.

It is a big challenge and won't be easy, but it is worth giving it a try.

We could break down the work in groups of applications such as, for example: 1) group of operating systems, 2) group of social media, 3) group of CRM 4) group of email etc. and assign volunteers to work with each group, according to experience. Volunteers will study the GDPR in depth and elaborate on each group, how/why FOSS is more GDPR-ready than it's closed-code counterpart.

I could volunteer for email, if you accept, because I happen to know it well enough. I could provide a list of arguments, about how FOSS can help towards compliance with the GDPR regarding email.

The same could be done for the rest of software segments. It won't be easy at all. This is why we will need a legal team, such as Data Protection Officers, to clarify the grey areas and propose corrections.

This is just an idea, as I said. I am open to suggestions. I would be happy to contribute, to the extend I can, to such a nice mission.

KR
Ioli