On 10/4/05, Mojo Jojo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was told that the Traffic Shaper wizard is basically for the LAN interface
> and not really useful at this point for servers/devices on the OPT1 or 2
> interface.

That is correct for the moment.

> So, I am wondering, if I put a machine on the LAN interface and setup
> Traffic shaper to prioritize traffic for that protocol/device, will it
> prioritize over just devices/systems on the LAN side or will it prioritize
> over everything including servers on the OPT2 interface?

Anything not tagged will fall into the default queue (the lowest weighted).

> Basically I need QOS for my VOIP, using the traffic shaper without the
> wizard hurts my head.

Yes, it can be quite intimidating.

> So, I am wondering if I should just run the traffic shaper wizard,
> prioritize VOIP and then plug all my VOIP devices (phones and Asterisk
> server) to the LAN interface.

That would be my recommendation.

> Will this work or will it be useless since it's only prioritizing traffic on
> the LAN? Will the servers in the OPT 1 (DMZ) be able to step all over my
> phone calls coming from the LAN side?

I would think it will work fine but someone jump in if I am mistaken on this.

> Basically I am trying to make sure the VOIP services have priority, ALL the
> time. In case it helps, I have a transparent bridge setup on the OPT 1
> interface for my servers.

Sounds like it should work.  Give it a try and let us know how it
turns out.  Keep in mind to set your VOIP bandwidth to the actual
speed of the connection if you wish for it to guarantee bandwidth no
matter what (or enter in the combined speed of all VOIP items).

Scott