On 3/14/06, Chun Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On the fw traffic graph, I see 30 megabits per second on the 120 (>95% cpu)
> and 75 megabits peak on the athlon platform (45% cpu).

This certainly suggests that CPU on the athlon is not your limiting factor.

> to be honest I was expecting a lot more.
>
> I am using an 8 port SMC gigabit switch that supports jumbo frames - how do
> I increase the ethernet frame size on the firewall interface ?

I believe there is a hidden option to change MTU - I'll leave it to
someone else to provide that option.

> I'll see if I can rig up an extra long crossover cable to bypass the switch.
>
> If I am supposed to see 400 megabits, then I presume this is split between
> the incoming nic and outgoing nic, so 200 megabits per second ??

No, that's 400Mbit throughput :)  A [EMAIL PROTECTED] bus is roughly around
1Gbit transfer rate so 500Mbit would be the absolute max.

> Any ideas where I should be checking ?

netstat -ni from the shell and see if you're taking any interface
errors on all the machines involved in the test.

--Bill