On 5/2/06, Carl Youngblood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So you are volunteerig to get this working?   Keep in mind we do not
> have endless amounts of resources.

I'm totally willing to help with this, but if the developers aren't
open to the idea, then it can be a really uphill battle.  So I wanted
to make sure you guys were supportive of the idea, especially since I
am not nearly as skilled with BSD as you guys are.  But I am willing
to help out, and our sysadmin here also has some good linux experience
and some exposure to BSD.  As long as you guys are willing to point us
in the right direction on occasion.

We're willing and want some subset of packages on embedded platforms. However, we don't have the resources to put it in ourselves - it's a
fair amount of work to make it stable.  Also, embedded platforms
usually have a limited amount of RAM (my two development WRAPs for
example have 64M RAM - the absolute minimum pfSense will even run on)
- I can't imagine losing any RAM on most of those platforms for
ramdisk.  So, we need a way to determine how much ram and/or ramdisk a
package will require and detect if your machine is even qualified to
run it.  Currently, it's easier to disable the functionality as it's a
very conditional item.  Anyone willing to make it work and make it
work right is welcome to try - just understand that it's not as simple
as "well I've got a 256M embedded box and it'll work here, so it must
be good".

--Bill