Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 02:33:45PM +0100, Paul M wrote:
>> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>
>>>              wan-pfsense-lan
>>>                          switch1--diverse hosts
>>>
>>> what's interesting is that I have transient outages to *some* IPs
>>> (it could be just one IP, actually). I can still ping that IP locally
>> is your switch manageable? can you turn logging on it? can you look up
>
> The gateway switch is a Netgear GS724T, the second switch is HP ProCurve.
> Logging, as in redirecting traffic to a sniffer port, and capture
> all traffic there?

logging, as in getting the managed switch to send syslog messages to a
server and seeing if it reports any errors. I don't know procurves, but
in cisco it's fairly straight forward... add this to config for example:

        logging facility local5
        logging 10.0.0.2

> The hoster advised doing an mtr, which I will do once the host
> drops offline again.

yeah, also check arp table on the disappearing host