> Oh wow!  Definitely haven't heard of that. It dying isn't unheard of,
>  though it's very unusual. It disappearing.... that's a new one on me.
>  I would question hardware, maybe bad drive or flaky controller.  Maybe
>  a FreeBSD driver quirk specific to something related to your disks,
>  though that's highly unlikely.
I would have thought so too, but saw (and still see) no errors, dmesg
or otherwise.  It's a pure Intel system (Celeron/ICH2/fxp) with an
'industrial' Western Digital drive, so a driver quirk is pretty odd to
me.

>  The console upgrade is how I would recover if this happened to me,
>  even upgrading to the same version as is currently running will work.
>  If it's something you can reliably replicate, please let us know how.
>  There is no code anywhere in pfSense to delete the lighty binary so
>  it's nearly impossible it would be a pfSense bug.
That's what I figured, but still thought it odd enough to note.  I've
never seen files spontaneously unlink themselves, and know UNIX well
enough I'm not going to go randomly moving or removing binaries.  If
someone else came up with the same issue, or I'm able to replicate it,
then it'd be a problem.  Right now, it's just a curious anomaly.