On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

> I've built a 1.2.3RC3 box on beforementioned Supermicro
> dual-core Atom box with an Intel dual-port server NIC
> and a 2 GByte Transcend DoM (some 200 EUR the Supermicro
> kit, 35 EUR memory, and 100 EUR the dual-port Intel
> NIC, the DoM is some 20-30 EUR IIRC).
>
> All four NICs (onboard Realteks and Intel) are apparently
> fully functional.
> The box is reasonably quiet, and probably not underventilated
> if it's not sandwiched between two other rackmounts (it
> does have enough fan headers on the motherboard to rectify
> that potential problem, though no fan mounts; hotglue would
> probably do).
>
> I've assigned WAN and LAN to the Intel NIC, and will use
> the Realteks for pfsync, redundancy and the like.
>
> Now the question, assuming I have a /24 network on WAN, what is
> the optimal routing setup if I want to go carp+pfsync
> eventually fully redundant? I'm currently running two
> mini-ITX C3 boxes in a poor man's failover setup, both
> as transparent bridges, with one disabled through STP
> or other loop-detection feature.
>
> So what do I do with my /24? Private IP space behind
> LAN, and 1:1 for every address? (That would be pretty
> difficult to recover from should my firewall die, right
> now every box has public IPs and can be fully routed
> even though then directly exposed to the hostile
> Internet).

Lots of options there - they're discussed in depth in the book. I
generally prefer getting a smaller WAN block and having the larger
internal block routed to you, then you can use a combination of NAT
and routed public IPs as needed, and easily add additional IP space in
the future if needed. I don't like bridging in a serious colo
environment, because of the complications possible with relying on
STP, or hacks on the firewall. I would never setup the network with a
design consideration that you can use it if the firewalls fail, that's
why you have redundant firewalls.