root (old history, but still valid) needs a shell that's statically
built (e.g. no linked libraries). In case a library disappears or in the
default *nix/*bsd distro the /usr partition doesn't mount, you can still
log in and attempt a repair.

As mentioned, add in another account manually, with your preferred
shell, and you should be ok.