For hosted sites, I would suggest enablement on a site by site basis.

A change control snafu/bad update could kill everything otherwise.

From: Tim Dressel [mailto:tjdres...@gmail.com]
Sent: 10 February 2011 3:29 PM
To: discussion@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense-discussion] Considering Switching to Pfsense

The snort plugin has this functionality built in. Just enter your oink code and
set how often you want it to update.
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Tony Zakula
<tonyzak...@gmail.com<mailto:tonyzak...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Yes, but I was just wondering if this is routing for say several
hundred hosted sites, if it would be appropriate to do that on the
main router or not.  I guess you could start with that, but then turn
it off right?

How then do people update their rules if they are using say snort?
Purchase a contract direct?  Any other solutions out there for
Pfsense?

Tony Z