One of the most flattering thing (even if not very rewarding in the financial
sense) that can happen to a free software author is that his free software
gets used in some product with a high penetration in the general population.
One good example from the past was Omer Zak's port of Fribidi (by Dov Grobgeld
and others) which was used in actual Nokia phones.

Today I realized that Google's GMail service, which until recently had no
spell-checking support for Hebrew messages, finally does have Hebrew spell-
checking, and it uses none other than Hspell (version 0.9) to do so!
In this way, thousands of Israeli users who never heard of Free Software
or Linux or anything like that, are now using the Free software Hspell.

Of course, this also raises a bunch of moral and philosophical issues:
whether Google should have acknowledged their use of Hspell on their site
(I can't find any such thing), or whether they should have at least
acknowledged it to me (they didn't... I only know that they use Hspell because
of certain "decoy" words that Hspell contains).
It also raises again the interesting question of how should the GPL be
changed in (if at all) in a world where proprietary Internet services like
GMail replace proprietary software as "the enemy" that the GPL was trying to
"battle". Many people still don't understand enough, or don't appreciate,
the significance of this question, which the GPL 3 is starting to address
(in a certain way, which I still don't know if is the correct way).

Anyway, enjoy Hspell (now in GMail too!), and I hope that some time soon
we'll release a new version (1.0, finally) with over 1,000 new words and
other improvements.

Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, Mar 11 2006, 12 Adar 5766
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Tea or coffee? Coffee, without cream. It