Un-top-posting,

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:09:31PM +0200, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:41, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 21 September 2010 10:43:00 Dov Grobgeld wrote:

> > > I don't think that git is more difficult than svn for the user if you
> > > restrict yourself to: add, commit, push, and pull. (Or just teach them to
> > > do "commit -a" and you can forget about "add"). Resolving conflicts
> > > branches, and rebasing, is another story though. But you won't need them.
> >
> > Actually, this is not true. With git I often encountered problems where it
> > yelled at me, and refused to go further without me doing something about
> > it,
> > yet it didn't tell me what exactly I need to do and I had to consule #git
> > on
> > Freenode about it, or try Googling. This happened to me a lot and may still
> > happen and simply does not happen with Subversion.

I don't think you limit yourself to 'add', 'commit', 'push' and 'pull'.

> > Another point against
> > git
> > is that projects using git often tend to branch a lot creating a zillion
> > different branches with lots of disorder and uncertainty, and from what I
> > recall there is no way to tell where a certain branch originated from
> > during a
> > git checkout -b command.
>
> I thought it was only me getting into these temporary redundant branches in
> my history, because I didn't work at one repo at "a time", but you're
> probably right that there is no way around it. You can "rewrite history" to
> erase them, but that is certainly not something that I would recommend the
> casual user.

If they are redundant, why don't you remove them? Git occasionally
removes inaccessible nodes in the revisions graph. So if you remove a
branch, its commits will eventually be removed. But if you don't need
that part of the history, what's wrong with removing it?

With svn you probably don't generate such "temporary" branches.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is
tzaf...@cohens.org.il |                    |  best