Hallo,

ich habe den Kundenservice von unicomp [1] gefragt ob sie denn
neo-keyboards anbieten würden.. und die Antwort ist: Ja. Unter
folgenden Bedingungen:  Min. 75 Bestellungen zu je 129$.

Hätten denn so viele Interesse hier?

Zur Info, unicomp baut noch die originalen Buckling Spring keyboards
mit dem IBM Patent und sie haben auch ein Exemplar mit Trackpoint
(wobei ich aber nicht weiß ob das jetzt 75 exakt gleiche Modelle sein
müssen oder nicht.. aber ich schätze nicht)

Sagt doch Bescheid wenn ihr Interesse habt, ich fänds toll wenn wir
das realisiert kriegen.

Anbei noch ein Teil des Austausches denn ich mit dem Kundendienst
hatte, damit ihr in etwa seht was man erwarten kann (ich weiß, es ist
nicht soo informativ):

- ---------------------
We do develop new layouts. Before answering your question we need to
know a little bit more about the specifics. The Neo layout has
multiple layers. How many characters would we be printing on the keys?
What colors do the legends need to be printed in? Do the keys need to
be in colors?

The Neo layout has 3 modifier keys. Does the keyboard output need to
be changed for these 3 keys or does the keyboard transmit the standard
outputs for those 3 keys?

Best regards,

Customer Service
- ------------------------
> How many characters would we be printing on the keys?

Layer 5 and 6 can be excluded, they aren't used that much.
Depending on how easily things would fit on the key I would print
layer 1 to 4.

In the past, someone who had access to a laser etching machine made
his own keyboard/keys and did some pictures of it [1] and he actually
fitted all layers on the key, so I guess it is possible to print all.
So you'd be printing 5 characters.

Someone also pointed out, that characters can be printed to the side
of the key, like you can see it here [3] with the "[" and arrow.

> What colors do the legends need to be printed in?
I don't think any special colors would be needed.

> Do the keys need to be in colors?
No, I don't think that would be needed

> The Neo layout has 3 modifier keys. Does the keyboard output need
be changed for these 3 keys or does the keyboard transmit the standard
outputs for those 3 keys?

The current layout-driver works using a normal ISO layout [2]
keyboard, so no, the output would stay the same, transmitting the
standard output.

[1] http://shs-schubert.de/gallery/galleries/00-NEO_Tastaturen/IMG6.jpg
And the whole gallery:
http://shs-schubert.de/gallery/index.php?/category/neo2

[2] I am mainly referring to the shape of the return key here, as the
modifier key would be positioned quite inconvenient if it had the ANSI
layout with the flat long return key

[3] http://hannover.ccc.de/~imp/l3l4-lasered.jpg

regards,

- --Mathias
- ----------------------------------
We would need an order for at least 75 units. The unit price would be
$129 each. It would take us 6 to 8 weeks to get the artwork developed.

Thanks for your interest in Unicomp keyboards.

Best regards,

Customer Service

Grüße,

    --Mathias