Okay, so after today's discussions I'm still not really clear on how path
freezing (baking, whatever) should work for standalone setuptools.  Would
it solve the problem for your use cases if I provided an option like
"--script-wrappers=plugin1,plugin2,...", where the plugin names are entry
points that would get a chance to modify the contents of generated
scripts?  That way, you guys could experiment freely with your
script-wrapping strategies without having to monkeypatch.  And any tools
that you build which wrap easy_install can simply add the necessary
setting(s) to an appropriate .cfg file.