> At 09:13 AM 7/19/2007 +1000, Mark Hammond wrote:
> >Its not clear from your reply, but do you believe that all
> architectures
> >having identical filenames is a problem?  If so, how do you
> think we should
> >approach it?

I'm still not sure what the answer to the question is though :)

> Mostly, I'm just interested in understanding how to update
> setuptools' platform API functions:
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#platform-utilities

That sounds worthwhile - but I'm unsure why we wouldn't simply update
distutils in similar ways, and then have setuptools borrow that
implementation, especially if the requirements are similar - which they seem
to be.  Does setuptools have unique requirements in this regard, or is there
some other reason I'm missing why we can't kill multiple birds with a single
stone?

I assume that 'distutils' is still the 'officially preferred' way of
building extensions?  Or maybe distutils used directly really is considered
dead, so I'm wasting my time even discussing changes to distutils itself?
I'm really just trying to make it simple for the next person trying to build
for 64bit Windows platforms (I've got a build - it just uses lots of hacks
that may not be obvious to others), but I'm no longer sure what we expect
this next person to be using when they build their extensions...

Mark