On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 09:47:46AM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Questions, comments...  volunteers?   :)

Sounds good, having a PEP626-style install database seems worthwile.
Definately if it will enable setuptools to install just like distutils
for a "install".

Here some notes from my Debian admin/packager point of view (sorry if
I miss perspectives of Windows users etc):

* I'd like clearly defined module paths for: (a) system, (b) local
  admin, (c) user.  PEP370 seems a step in the right direction.  When
  using "setup.py install" it would be good if the correct prefix
  would be chosen automatically for (b) and (c).  On Windows (a) and
  (b) would be the same AIUI.

* While the installdb can be shared between the sytem and the local
  admin (/var/lib seems appropriate) the user can't normally write to
  this.  So at separate user installdb might be needed.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom