Sorry, I was thinking to switch the return value of the distclass's
has_ext_modules() method based on whether building the extension failed
(not in all cases). Sorry for not being more clear. Anyhow, it's just an
idea -- I have no idea when setuptools queries this method relative to
when compiling the modules actually take place.

If switching after the build failed isn't possible, I wonder if you
could semi-reliably predict whether the build would fail (compiler
detection?) and then switch the distclass based on that? I realize that
idea is sub-optimal...

Maybe what you want to do is too magic anyway -- perhaps the users
should just attempt to install the version with extension code and if
that fails to install the version with no extension code? Or maybe the
extension code is a 2nd package that the main package works around if it
cannot be imported?

-Andrew