Jim Fulton wrote:
I know it is a bad practice for a recipe to return some paths that
contains important data in the install() method,
because zc.buildout might remove them.

Nevertheless, it happens from time to time that a developer lose some
content because of a misconfiguration,
or a zealous recipe. That is his responsability, and backups are done for that.

I don't think backups are the right approach. It's a mistake to have recipes manage precious data. If you really really really think that's a good idea, then the recipe should at least manage uninstall and move precious data aside, rather than remove it.

I don't think it is really the user's problem is a recipe misbehaves by allowing precious data to be removed.

I'll note fassembler uses a file abstraction layer so that its recipes are safe by default: https://svn.openplans.org/svn/fassembler/trunk/fassembler/filemaker.py

I think buildout would be a lot more humane if it took the same approach.

--
Ian Bicking : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : http://blog.ianbicking.org