Phillip J. Eby wrote:
I think we need a standard for tools interop (ala WSGI), not implementation tweaks for the existing tools.

Agreed.

4/ let's change PyPI to make it work with the new metadata and to
enforce a few things

Enforcements:
    - a binary distribution cannot be uploaded if a source distrbution
has not been previously provided for the version

Note that this doesn't allow closed-source packages to be uploaded; thus it would need to be a warning, rather than a requirement.

This is an important point. We can't assume any one repository will have all needed packages.

It could only do this for specific binaries, since dependencies can be dynamic.

They should not be dynamic :-(

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk