2009/4/9 zooko <zo...@zooko.com>:
> On Apr 8, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
>
>> 1. (Meta-requirement) I want to be able to download a Windows installer[1]
>> for *every* package I need.
>> 1a. This means that the barrier for packagers building Windows installers
>> should be as low as possible.
>> 1b. It also means that other formats (e.g. eggs) should offer no benefit
>> over Windows installers
>
> I personally, as a consumer of other people's software, prefer to acquire
> their packages as sdist .tar.gz's or as .eggs on all platforms, including
> Windows, which I use regularly.  So your and my preferences as a consumer of
> packages differ on this.

Are you able to explain *why* you prefer this? (I'm not trying to
change your mind at all, just trying to get a wider understanding of
how people's experiences differ).

For me (using Windows only) the benefits of bdist_wininst/bdist_msi are:
- Uses the system package manager (limited as it may be)
- Means I don't need to have a compiler installed (even though I do on
many of my machines)

If I have to guess at your reasons, my assumption would be:
- Consistent means of installing on all platforms
- ???

How far off the mark am I? Written like that, my reasons (obviously,
as I'm biased!) look stronger, so I am pretty sure I'm not
understanding your situation properly.

>  Fortunately, as far as the distutils is concerned
> "Windows installers" vs. "sdists" vs. "eggs" are not mutually exclusive.
>  The distutils will provide a standard for metadata so that all of those
> distribution formats can have the same metadata, and it will allow
> automation such as bdist_msi and sdist_dsc (from stdeb) so that it can
> become easier for developers to produce these things.  By the way, the exact
> same sorts of preference-among-consumers issues arises on the Linux side
> (which I also use regularly), where some people mistakenly think that they
> want distutils to support eggs worse, when what they really want is for it
> to support debs better (which I hope stdeb will ultimately do).

The key thing for me would be if it was easy to convert any given
binary format for a platform into another. This stems from the fact
that compiling extensions is hard on Windows. So being able to convert
eggs to and from bdist_wininst or bdist_msi installers would be
sufficient. But standard metadata isn't quite enough by itself, as it
still requires someone with a compiler and the relevant libraries
configured to create the DLLs, etc.

Given that all the *files* contained in any given binary distribution
are identical (if they aren't that's a different problem!) then
creating converters should be possible - although I'm not aware of
anyone looking at this. Maybe it's a useful area to spend some effort
on?

Paul.