On May 5, 2009, at 10:38 AM, P.J. Eby wrote:

At 08:41 AM 5/5/2009 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
I don't want new functionality available to an application just
because someone has permission to install a package somewhere in the
PYTHONPATH.  I would rather have plugins added to an app through an
explicit configuration step of some sort.

Note that this is not incompatible with entry points; an application can simply treat entry points as a list of *available* plugins, rather than as a list of *active* plugins. Chandler, for example, does this for user-level plugins.

That's good. I wasn't sure if registering an entry point caused it to be automatically loaded in an app that expressed interest in it, or if there was a step the app could take to verify that it was desirable code before doing any imports. Earlier messages in this thread made me think there was no "protection" from a registered plugin.