At 11:32 PM 9/24/2011 -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

On Sep 24, 2011, at 11:01 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:

This really sounds like a bug in pip; top_level.txt is not a replacement for a proper uninstall log.

Thanks. It appears that Pip's maintainers are (the teensiest bit grudgingly) coming around to this perspective as well: <https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/355#issuecomment-2182951>https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/355#issuecomment-2182951

You may want to note that Twisted isn't the only distribution that ships partial packages that aren't namespace packages. The logilabs packages are (or at any rate were) distributed this way, with a top-level package in one distribution, and some modules (without an __init__) were shipped in other distributions. (I could be wrong, but I think the mx.* stuff works this way, too.)

(These are all packages that are distutils-only, though, or have their own extensions, IIRC.)